Where has the year gone? It seems like Thanksgiving was yesterday, and here we are talking once again about New Year’s resolutions!
Most of the time, we start a new year with plenty of resolutions to change or improve our lives – things like losing weight, eating better, being more patient, etc. This blog post is about being more responsible, especially when it comes to your plumbing system.
It makes good sense to do this, because so many plumbing problems can be avoided with a little discipline. And any time you avoid a plumbing problem, you’re keeping your own money in your own pocket. These aren’t hard to do, but they do require you to make an honest effort, so let’s dig in with this year’s list of plumbing resolutions!
1. Schedule a check up with a qualified plumber. If you’ve gone five years or more without having a plumbing inspection, you’re probably running on borrowed time. We’ll come out and do a safety inspection of your system from top to bottom. We’ll even flush your hot water tank as part of our evaluation, something that should be done every year. By the way, a plumbing inspection for an elderly relative makes a great gift and can give them a lot of peace of mind.
2. Stop abusing your toilet. About the only thing you should be flushing down the toilet is toilet paper. Anything else can cause clogs, especially baby wipes, floss, Q-tips and sanitary products. Dispose of these in the trash can rather than flush them down the toilet. A clogged toilet is almost always avoidable, so make sure to properly dispose of materials other than toilet paper.
3. Get a better backup for your sump pump. This past year we set a record for sump pumps sales and installation. A flooded basement is a nightmare, one that’s often caused by a power failure. Don’t let your sump pump quit just because the power went off. A battery backup will keep your pump working through a storm, which in turn will help keep your basement from flooding.
4. Watch what goes into your garbage disposal. Fats, oils and fibrous foods like celery, corn husks and onions can play havoc with your disposal. Be sure to always run cold water when the disposal is in use. Keep bones and anything not biodegradable out of it entirely. If you’re not sure if your disposal can handle something, play it safe and throw it away.
5. Insulate your pipes that are close to the outside or in crawl spaces. Exposed pipes where there is little heat can freeze and burst. We see it all the time! Fortunately, this mishap can be easily avoided by wrapping your exposed pipes in insulation. You can buy it at any big box home improvement store or at your local hardware store. It’s inexpensive and easy to install, and it’s worth your time to get this done.
There are plenty of other things you can do to keep your plumbing in tip-top shape, but these are a good start. Do these and chances are you’ll enjoy the year trouble-free.
But if you do need help, Call 612-444-3540, when you need fast, courteous, and affordable professional plumbing service. You’ll be glad you did!
Happy New Year from all of us at Discount Rooter!
For Drain Cleaning or plumbers minneapolis we can handle all your sewer and drain cleaning near me services in the Minneapolis area. Discount Plumbers® Minneapolis also offers a dedicated team of qualified professional plumbers ready to help with your faucets, toilets, garbage disposal, water heater and tub/shower valve issues. Our drain cleaning specials can’t be beat by any other plumber, roto rooters or rooter companies and we provide rapid response for your clogged basement drain, clogged toilet, clogged main line, sewer repair or even sump pump repair. Contact us today for $94 Drain Cleaning and Plumber services in the Minneapolis area.